Friday 15 June 2012

↓ ↘ → + P

21 years.

Has it really been that long since I pulled off my first Hadouken? Blimey I'm getting old.

In 1991 I was 13 years old and Street Fighter 2 was the greatest game I'd ever seen - it was the reason I pestered my parents for a SNES a year later (a request which was denied) and the reason why four years after that, many a night was squandered during my first year at university playing on my flatmates Megadrive in nightly "winner stays on" tournaments.

My characters of choice were (and still are) Ryu and Ken as they've got (imho) the most versatile move sets & are capable of taking on any other style of fighter - Ken being my favourite of the two because he had the best stage music - so imagine how pleased I was to stumble across this, Psycho Krusher's version of Ken's theme...


Ah... nostalgia.

Which also reminds me, for those of you who play(ed) Street Fighter & havent yet seen the now legen-wait for it - dary comeback that tournament player Diago made in 2004 at EVO then you need to watch this:
"The last hit Daigo (ken) took left him so low that even if he blocked a single attack he would die from the chip damage.  Chun li used her super knowing that any hit would have killed him.Daigo used a technique called parry in which you press forward exactly as a hit connects with your character, negating all damage.  He had to do this for every hit in the video, then managed to combo chun li from half health before she could react."


A full breakdown of this, dubbed "The most famous minute in competitive gaming" is available to read here.

Incidentally if watching this has given you an hankering to bust out a dragon punch and lay the smack down with a hurricane kick then you can get your SF2 on, for free, here.



No comments:

Post a Comment