Sunday 17 June 2012

Among the Sleep

It is I again, Sir Thomas. I threatened that should be repeated until you should correctly address me as such, and as you can see I am a man of my word.

Now, please do excuse my absence for the last few days, while I have lucrative accounts and a slew of friends and benefactors that might back me up should I become overburdened by monetary issues, things have fallen rather... flat of late. In fact I've recently had to move my place of living to one of a much lesser standard, the dreaded family abode.

But never the less, I shall endeavour to complete my given task, that of keeping the unwashed masses up to date with current and interesting news. Just so long as they do not touch me. Ah, the marvels of electronic communication.

Now, the item I wish to discuss today is a rather intriguing one. I have a fondness for horror, as many of you may ascertain from previous web logs. One of the tropes of horror is the inclusion of children. It ranges from large headed children stumbling through large murderous worlds, their innocence being spoiled repeatedly with every vicious grisly action they see performed in front of their eyes, to children with some indication of a mental handicap who wield vast and terrible powers beyond the comprehension of mortal man.



Either way, horror certainly loves to throw children into the mix, and occasionally into large spinning blades, so it was only a matter of time before someone attempted to take it one step further. This is where it gets interesting.

Krillbite studio, a Norway based developer, have decided that their flagship game should set a pretty high mark for controversy and censor inducing. To achieve this they decided to put the player in the position of a child. A very small child. In fact, this game decided to make their protagonist so young that it could be the first FPC (first-person-crawler) we see on the market. As for the genre, you might have come to the conclusion already that it's a horror. I suppose things seem scarier to a two-year-old.



That's right. A two-year-old. The game, which is called 'Among the Sleep' is placed in the perspective of a two-year-old. Don't believe me? Well it's true, and I have video to prove it, but you should trust your betters. Try to improve on that.


This game looks as if it's gearing up to be quite... interesting. Certainly playing it will be an experience. The child's mind is somewhere between reality and imagination, where every shadow and noise could be a monster of creature sneaking up to attack them.
This game will no doubt stretch the borders between what is real and what is fantasy, and no doubt both will be deadly.



Well, perhaps not deadly. While I give credit to the Krillbite team for daring to approach this concept, I'm uncertain that they would be allowed to animate a toddler being thrown from a rooftop, or eaten by a terrible beast, or hit by a threshing machine. I digress, they would likely be physically restrained before they animated the first disproportionately large eyeball dislodging from the brittle skull.

Is that dark enough? Yes, I believe it to be a fine way to end that discussion. The game looks interesting, and I suggest that people show their support for this new development team. At least they're not producing another first-person-shooter with Russians and a heavy reliance on multiplayer. You know which one I mean... the one with the vehicle section.

Nevermind. I'm certain that you can fill in the blanks there. The official website for the game is here. Please, give them more traffic, give them support, give them money if you should have any, and they should be willing. I look forward to needlessly throwing this toddler into harms way in the future.

Good day, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment